World Environment Day is celebrated on June 5th every year throughout the world. It is a campaign started by the United Nations General Assembly in 1972 to bring some positive environmental changes all over the world to make life better and more natural. Environmental issues are big issues now-a-days to which everyone must be aware and give their positive efforts to solve them.
Causes of Environmental Pollution
As environment is stated as our surroundings like plants, animals, atmosphere and everything that is around us.
- As human beings are increasing in numbers more factories, houses, vehicles and machinery is needed, so when these things are constructed and used all of these release gasses which are the main cause of environmental pollution.
- When we talk about factories. We must understand that with the population growth more factories are being constructed to fulfill the needs and demands of growing population. For example more population means more food to process, more clothes and more industries to manufacture the products to meet the demands of population.
- Tons of garbage and industrial wastes are dumped underground or in the rivers and seas. This causes in-sanitation, killing of fish or sea animals or harms their growth. Moreover polythene bags are also dangerous for living beings. As most of the sea animals especially lose their lives due to the eating of polythene bags. Because they are non-biodegradable that’s why create harm for the living organisms. The falling oil from ships in the ocean proves dangerous to the sea life.
- The atomic wastes of atomic reactors thrown into the sea contaminate the water over long distances, and this contaminated water reaches the seashores even. On other side waste material of industries are thrown in the seas and rivers which create water pollution and this water is unfit for not only drinking but also for the aquatic life.
- Garbage is also dump in open spaces which are causing a lot of diseases. some times epidemics are spread due to this garbage. so we can say that garbage if not dispose off properly can harm the environment.
- on the other hand as the population is increasing. More forests are cutting down to build the houses. so when forests are cleared in atmosphere the level of Co2 increase and the proportion of oxygen decrease, due to this it become difficult to live in that environment, because it creates air pollution. In addition to this greenhouse gasses are also increasing due to the burning of fossil fuels.
- Another form of pollution is of noise pollution. Every form of unpleasant sounds are called Noise pollution.
It is no less painful and harmful than the pollution caused by gasses and chemicals. The sound of horns, machines, flying aeroplanes, weapons in operation, loud speakers and music sets and loud cries and quarrels of people pollute the atmosphere badly. This noise pollution disturbs the mind, upsets regular work or study and helps in causing nervous and mental disorders. It is necessary to reduce noise pollution as much as possible by educating and training the people in producing the least disturbing and discomforting noises.
One of the atmospheric gasses is Ozone. It is of a blue colour gas which is present in the upper portion of atmosphere. It absorbs ultraviolet rays to the earth’s surface after filtration. In this way it protects the life on earth from ultraviolet rays (UV Rays). UV rays cause skin cancer and eye diseases. It the quantity of ozone gas decreases, the UV rays will reach earth. Which is harmful for life. Therefore, the presence of ozone gas is necessary.
Causes of Ozone Depletion
The layer of ozone gas has become thin at different places. And it is evident through the studying the data gathered from the satellite.
One of the main reasons for reduction and destruction of ozone gas is CFC gas which is the mixture of Chloro-Flouro-Carbon. It contains Flourine and Carbon atoms. This mixture enters atmosphere and breaks the ozone gas. Human activities are also responsible for destroying the ozone layer. CFC is used to keep refrigerator cool and in different sprays. CFC is released from such instruments and destroys ozone layer.
Significance Of The World Environment Day
- It is very important to realize the importance or significance of environment by celebrating a day for it, people plant more and more trees to realize the importance of trees. programs are conducted on social, print and electronic media to highlight the significance of clean and healthy environment. People came to know how to stay healthy by cleaning and protecting our environment, so they implement these learning in their practical lives to save the environment.
- On national and international level some measures are also taken to control the environmental pollution and destruction. Due to the reduction of ozone layer different governments have banned the use of CFCs. Now developed countries are using HCFC gas instead of CFCs, which is a mixture of carbon, hydrogen, chlorine and florine gasses. This gas is less injurious as compared to CFCs.
- Many international conferences was held in Copenhagen on the issue of climate change and environmental pollution. Many countries participated in that and many decisions were taken in conferences to reduce the release of Co2 and to control the increase of temperature on the Earth’s surface.
How is World Environment Day celebrated?
World Environment Day is celebrated by planting trees and driving cleaning programs in various parts of the world. Seminars, lectures and workshops are conducted to highlight the importance of water conservation, plantation and many other environmental issues as well. Major corporations, NGOs, communities, governments and celebrities worldwide advocate the uses of eco-friendly practices water conservation etc.
As we know that earth is only home for human beings, but due to increase in population our environmental pollution in the form of water, land, air and noise pollution are becoming more evident and our environment is becoming worst day by day.
so we should take some steps or measures to protect our environment and earth as well, for the creation of this awareness a day is celebrated all over the world that is known as Environment Day. It is a good effort to create the knowledge of clean and healthy environment and to protect the existence of living things including human beings on the earth.
So we should also clean our environment, we should plant more and more trees and should try to use eco-friendly gadgets to save our environment for not only for ourselves but also for our upcoming generations.
For saving our environment we can start a campaign on a local level. That campaign is of using 3R principal. Like Reuse, Reduce and Recycle. We must reuse the things again and again. Reduce the need of using new products and Recycle the products. Like we can recycle plastic bottles, tins, broken glass, shopping bags, clothes, plastic cans and paper bags etc. and should avoid to burn thrash. And also avoid to dump the garbage into the open places and in rivers or other water bodies.
Our environment will be clean in this way and we will have a healthy lifestyle with no pollution and stress. In this way we can make more progress because a major cause of poverty and being an underdeveloped country is pollution which make us ill physically and mentally.
So In order to develop in every walks of life we must focus on our environment. We must keep it clean and healthy. In this way we can keep ourselves happy, healthy and satisfied.